Newsletters & Publications
The Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center publishes a newsletter several times a year.
View all newsletters
Stepping Forward: A Self-Advocacy Guide for Middle and High School Students (formerly known as An Educational Journey from Self Discovery to Advocacy) is intended to help middle and high school students develop self-advocacy skills and plan for the transition from school to adult life. Some of the skills and activities mentioned in the guide may also be appropriate for students and teachers at the elementary school level. It is never too early to begin thinking about and teaching skills that will help students to be better prepared for secondary transition! Click here to download a PDF version.
GUIDE TO TERMS
This guide was designed to help parents in Connecticut understand the language used in
special and general education. Sometimes during meetings or school visits, words or
acronyms are used that are unfamiliar to most people. Our hope is that this guide will
help you to better understand what is being said and make you feel more comfortable with
the language of education.
View the Guide to Educational Terms
OTHER AGENCY PUBLICATIONS
Below are some links to publications created by other agencies in Connecticut or across the country.
CT Department of Education, Bureau of Special Education
- A Parent's Guide to Special Education In Connecticut
- Una guía de educación especial para los padres de Connecticut
- Building a Bridge: A Transition Manual for Students
- Building a Bridge: A Transition Manual for Students - Spanish
IEP MANUAL AND FORMS: IEP FORMS, Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Assistive Technology Guidelines for School Age and Birth to Three
- Report on Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (2005)
- Guidelines for Identification and Education of Children and Youth with Autism (Revised 2011)
- Guidelines for Identifying Children with Intellectual Disability
- Guidelines for Identifying Children with Learning Disabilities (2010)
- Guidelines for Identifying and Educating Students with Emotional Disturbance (updated November 2, 2012)
- Guidelines for Speech and Language Programs (2008)
- Managing Life Threatening Food Allergies in CT Schools
- Choose Success: A Guide to Public School Choice for Students and Their Families
CADRE - Center for Appropriate Dispute Resolution
- Steps to Success: Communicating with Your Child's School
- IDEA Dispute Resolution Parent Guides: Available in English and Spanish information on mediation, due process, written state complaints and more
Center for Parent Information and Resources - parentcenterhub.org