Families of children with disabilities may also have needs outside of the educational process. This section includes community-based resources, statewide resources, disability specific resources and other information to help you in raising your child with special needs.
Adult Services Information
Services for Adults with Disabilities:
Parentcenterhub.org has prepared this listing of resources for adults with disabilities to help you get started. Look over this list, and you will find organizations that provide information, referral, and/or direct services. A brief description of each organization's activities is included to help you choose those organizations that seem appropriate to your needs.
Search Facebook for CT based parent support groups, try searching by location, disability or specific topic (examples: behavior, sensory needs) to find a specific group for your needs. "Follow" our page and you will receive updates from a variety of Connecticut resources.
Community Based Resources
Connecting Connecticut Resource Directory
Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center, Inc. has developed a comprehensive resource directory, Connecting Connecticut for schools and community organizations serving families of children with disabilities in Connecticut.
Programs that Help People in CT:
Download information on these programs in English or Spanish.
Disability Specific Resources
State of Connecticut Disability Services
Listing from the Connecticut State Official Website
Disability Specific Organizations in CT
University of Connecticut Center for Excellence's listing of Connecticut Organizations
National Disability Organizations
- CHADD the National Resource on ADHD
- Apraxia Kids
- Autism Society
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- National Federation of the Blind
- Brain Injury Association of America
- United Cerebral Palsy
- Cerebral Palsy Foundation
- National Association of the Deaf
- National Center for Deaf-Blindness
- National Association for Down Syndrome
- National Down Syndrome Congress
- International Dyslexia Association
- The American Association for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- National Center for Learning Disabilities
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Rett Syndrome.org
- Reverse Rett
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association